Nadal doesn’t see himself skipping tournaments like Federer

By

first_imgSummer Philippine Golf Fair opens at Blue Leaf Filipinas ___Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “There (are) tournaments that I can’t imagine missing on purpose, because (they are) tournaments that I love to play,” Nadal said on Wednesday. “I don’t see myself missing Monte Carlo on purpose. I don’t see myself missing Wimbledon on purpose, or the U.S. Open, or Australian, or Rome. These kind of events, I don’t see missing (them).”The 31-year-old Spaniard recently returned from a right hip injury which forced him to retire during the fifth set of his Australian Open quarterfinal against Marin Cilic.With his 32nd birthday coming up on June 3 — during the French Open — the 16-time Grand Slam champion accepts he may think differently when he gets closer to Federer’s age.“Of course, when you get older, you need to adjust a little bit more the efforts and the calendar. But for me (it) is difficult to say I don’t play, for example, grass, or I don’t play hard (courts),” Nadal said. “(It) is not in my plan, but I can’t say ‘never’ because I cannot predict what’s going to be in the future.”Nadal is chasing an 11th title at both Monte Carlo and Roland Garros, which begins on May 27.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ View comments For the second consecutive season, the 36-year-old Federer is skipping the entire clay-court season in order to be at his best on grass.After coming back from injury to win the Australian Open last year, Federer skipped the clay-court season, won Wimbledon, and retained his Melbourne crown to extend his record tally to 20 majors.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe Swiss star is keeping his aging body fresher by playing a bit less — avoiding Nadal on clay at Roland Garros or elsewhere — and it is working for him.But Nadal still thinks he can play a full schedule. In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ LATEST STORIES Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding FILE – Rafael Nadal of Spain in action against Dusan Lajovic of Serbia & Montenegro during their first round Men’s Singles match on Day Two of the 2017 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on August 29, 2017 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. Richard Heathcote/Getty Images/AFPMONACO — For now, Rafael Nadal doesn’t see himself skipping any major tournaments the way Roger Federer has been sitting out the French Open.The veterans are back at the top of world tennis, with Nadal needing to win the Monte Carlo Masters this week to avoid losing his top ranking once again to Federer in their seemingly eternal battle for tennis supremacy.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more