Twitter/@Pac12NetworkThe 2015 Pac-12 men’s basketball tournament is set to begin this Wednesday, March 11 and conclude on Saturday, March 14. It will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Here’s the bracket, along with the times for each game. Ticket information is available here. (@Pac12Networks)Pac-12 Tournament games will be broadcast on ESPN and Pac-12 Networks. Favorite: ArizonaFew teams in the nation have the talent of Arizona, and the Wildcats proved it with a 28-3 record on the season and 16-2 mark in Pac-12 play. Point guard T.J. McConnell is one of the steadiest floor generals in the nation, and has a number of dynamic scorers, including fantastic freshman Stanley Johnson, Brandon Ashley, and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Few teams have the balanced scoring of Arizona, which has six players averaging at least nine points per game. Arizona’s three losses—at UNLV, at Oregon State, and at Arizona State—came by a total of nine points. The Wildcats will be tough to overcome for their Pac-12 competition in Las Vegas.Sleeper: UCLAFrom December 13 to January 4, UCLA lost five straight games, and the Bruins’ NCAA Tournament chances looked bleak. UCLA finished the season 11-5 with big wins over Oregon and Utah, and now the Bruins are right on the bubble, and can help themselves with a good showing in Las Vegas. UCLA has five very capable scorers averaging over 10 points per game, but depth is a major concern. Bryce Alford, Isaac Hamilton, Kevon Looney, and Norman Powell all average over 30 minutes per game. Tony Parker averages just under 25 minutes per game, and only three other players play at least 10 minutes each night. If UCLA can keep its guys fresh, the starting five can compete with anyone else in the Pac-12, and with the tournament on the line, the Bruins will definitely be motivated to make a deep run.
New Delhi: In a daring attack, a patrolling team of Delhi Police was attacked with a knife when they tried to stop bike-borne criminals in Delhi’s Mandir Marg area. “The incident happened late Tuesday night when the bike-borne men were stopped by the patrolling team as their movements seemed to be suspicious. While trying to stop them, the men attacked the police team with a knife,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Eish Singhal told IANS. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: Javadekar The criminals were soon overpowered and the knife and a pistol recovered from them. The police said the motorbike that they were riding was also a stolen one. The DCP told IANS that the criminals have been identified as Kamil Singh alias Kanna and Jitender Kumar alias Rajesh Kumar. Both are Delhi residents and are said to be wanted criminals. Singhal said: “With the arrest of the two, around 15 cases committed in different places in the city are likely to be solved. These cases include snatching cases also.” Investigations have so far revealed that both the culprits have four attempts to murder cases, 20 snatching, seven loot and 19 cases under Arms Act against them. The police team that arrested the criminals included sub-inspector Surendra, assistant police sub-inspectors Rajesh and Raj Kumar, and havaldars Daljit, Kuldeep, Santosh, Vinod and jawans Manjit, Sanjay and Rajendra.
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday defended Donald Trump over accusations the US leader pressured Kiev to dig up dirt on a rival, saying there was “nothing compromising” in transcripts of the call. “I see nothing compromising in the conversation between Trump and (Ukrainian leader Volodymyr) Zelensky,” Putin said of the phone call that has sparked an impeachment probe in the US. “President Trump turned to a colleague with a request to investigate possible corruption relating to members of the former administration,” the Russian leader said at an energy forum in Moscow. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: Report”Any head of state would have had to do the same.” “They have already been using any excuse to attack President Trump. Now it’s Ukraine,” Putin added. Putin also took aim at the Mueller Report, which concluded that Russia tried to swing the 2016 election in the Republican’s favour but did not establish evidence of collusion between the Trump camp and Moscow. “He didn’t find any evidence of us colluding with Trump in the past, but said there was a risk we might do so in the future… It would be funny if it weren’t so sad,” said Putin. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protestsAsked if Russia would try to meddle in the US 2020 presidential election, Putin joked: “I’ll let you into a secret — yes! We absolutely will… Just don’t tell anybody.” The White House last week released a transcript of a call this summer between Trump and a recently elected Zelensky. It showed that Trump asked Zelensky to probe Democratic rival Joe Biden, and the Democrats are looking into whether Trump used a delayed 400 million (365.8 million euros) aid package as leverage. Ukraine is fighting an ongoing war in its east against Russia-backed separatists, which broke out after Moscow’s annexation of Crimea in 2014.
New Delhi: The outstanding dues owed by distribution utilities to power producers rose around 57 per cent to Rs 78,020 crore in August 2019 as compared to the same month last year, reflecting a growing stress in the sector. Distribution companies owed a total of Rs 49,669 crore to power generation companies in August 2018, according to web portal and app namely PRAAPTI (Payment Ratification and Analysis in Power procurement for Bringing Transparency in Invoicing of generators). Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraThe portal was launched in May 2018 to bring a transparency in power purchase transactions between generators and discoms (distribution companies). In August this year, total overdue amount, which was not cleared even after 60 days of grace period offered by generators, stood at Rs 59,532 crore as against Rs 34,464 crore in the same month in 2018. Power producers give 60 days’ time to discoms for paying bills for the supply of electricity. After that, the outstanding becomes overdue and generators charge penal interest on that in most of the cases. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysIn order to give a relief to power generation companies, the Centre has enforced a payment security mechanism from August 1. Under this mechanism, discoms are required to open letters of credit for getting power supply. The data on the portal indicates that the outstanding as well as overdue amount have increased over the preceding month. In July 2019, the total outstanding on discoms was Rs 76,467 crore, while the total overdue amount was Rs 56,556 crore. The July 2019 figures of dues and overdues have been revised upwards from Rs 73,748 crore and Rs 54,342 crore provisional numbers released last month on the portal. Discoms in Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu account for the major portion of dues to power generating companies, taking a longer duration of up to 820 days to make payments, the portal showed. Among major states, Andhra Pradesh tops the list with 852 days to make payments, followed by Rajasthan (851 days), Haryana (849 days), Madhya Pradesh (836 days) Telangana (829 days) and Tamil Nadu (823 days) in that order. Delhi takes 878 days to make payments to power generating firms. Overdues of independent power producers amount to over 24.6 per cent of the total overdue of Rs 59,532 crore on discoms. Among the central public sector power generators, NTPC alone has an overdue amount of Rs 8,452.58 crore on discoms, followed by NLC India at Rs 4,691.49 crore, NHPC at Rs 2,324.05 crore, THDC India at Rs 1,936.11 crore and Damodar Valley Corporation at Rs 805.71 crore. Among private generators, discoms owe the highest overdue of Rs 3,794.49 to Adani Power, followed by Bajaj Group-owned Lalitpur Power Generation Company Ltd at Rs 2,212.66 crore and GMR at Rs 1,829.68 crore.
Los Angeles: Actor Jim Carrey has turned writer with his upcoming novel “Memoirs and Misinformation” which will hit the bookstores in May 2020. Publishing house Alfred A. Knopf announced on Twitter that Carrey’s debut novel, which he wrote in collaboration with Dana Vachon, will come out next year. “Mark your calendars, the debut novel from @JimCarrey is coming May 2020” it tweeted. The publisher said the novel is a “perceptive, highly entertaining book” about the arc of fame, and a look inside the mind of an artist and the world he inhabits. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold Schwarzenegger The 57-year-old will also embark on a book tour to coincide with the release of the novel, reported Entertainment Weekly. “Jim Carrey has written a novel that is more revealing about his life than any memoir could possibly be,” Sonny Mehta, Editor in Chief of Knopf, said in a statement. “It is a perceptive and highly entertaining book about the arc of fame, as well as a look inside the mind of an artist, the life that shaped him, and the world he inhabits,” he added. Carrey said, “None of this is real and all of it is true.”
New Delhi: The Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik had asked Deputy Commissioners of Police (DCsP) from all districts to bring innovative ideas related to security in the city. Police sources told that a meeting, headed by the police chief, was held at PHQ in August. DCsP along with Joint CsP were present at the meeting. “District DCsP should send innovative ideas on security and good ideas will be duly recognized by the committee,” the top cop told officers. Police Chief had directed DCsP to come prepared with innovative ideas for the next law and order meeting. The ideas can be on the topic related to the detection and prevention of crime or community policing. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarRecently, the police chief had directed DCsP to replicate ‘Nazuk’ scheme, meant for the safety of children, in their districts. Sources said that during the meeting, reference related to innovative ideas was also given to senior officers. “The reference was related to a point which was discussed in the conference held last year where police chiefs from different states were present,” sources said. Elaborating more about the point, sources said that use of technology in intelligence generation and detection work, as well as post-event analysis, needs to be extended to preempt crime with effective use of data mining and analytics. Innovative ideas are required to generate real-time information. “For example, police personnel should become members of social media groups run by protestors or agitators for gaining access to valuable information and trends about their activities. Dedicated teams are required to filter out matters of concern from social media and analyse them,” sources said. Also Read – Union min Hardeep Singh Puri, Delhi L-G lay foundation stones for various projects in DwarkaSources further added that recently PHQ had written to Special Commissioners of Police (Law and order south and North) regarding the implementation of the Directive Principles. “It is intimated that it was requested from DCsP all districts/units as well as Spl Commissioners, Joint Commissioners, and Additional Commissioners of Police to suggest some issues/parameters which can be included in the scope of study of the appraisal regarding the implementation for onward transmission to Govt of NCT (Delhi),” sources said quoting contents of the letter. Sources further said that four DCsP had suggested some issues for including in the scope of study of appraisal regarding the implementation of Directive Principles. One of the DCsP suggested that a public prosecutor to be deputed in every sub-division & SDPO office and government transport facility should be provided for IOs for investigation work.
Visakhapatnam: Featuring in just his fifth Test match, Mayank Agarwal on Thursday became the fourth Indian batsman to convert his maiden century into a double hundred and the Karnataka opener is elated over his performance. Mayank was involved in a crucial 317-run opening stand with debutant opener Rohit Sharma and he reckoned if they keep on replicating such feats, it would be tough for any competition. Mayank played a superb knock of 215 in the first innings of the first Test between India and South Africa here, which contained 23 boundaries and six hits into the stands. Speaking after the match, a delighted Mayank said: “I am extremely happy. It is a feeling I can’t describe. Glad that I could make my maiden hundred into a double. I am happy with the way I played, I am batting well and if we can keep batting together like this upfront, it will be great for the team. If Rohit and me can keep contributing to make 450-500 every time, it will be very tough for the opposition. I would be lying to say that you only have to think about your own game.” Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju”At times you feel that you are playing well and I can take a chance, but that’s not how it works. You have to be patient. We had a great partnership to lay the foundation and get to 300 runs,” he added. Mayank also praised Rohit’s 176-run knock as the Mumbai right-hander silenced all his critics who had questioned his role as a Test opener. Lauding Rohit, Mayank said: “The way he (Rohit) dominated the spinners was great to see. Initially the pitch did do a bit with the new ball but when the sun came down it got better and better. As we approached lunch on day two, the ball started keeping low. It started spinning by tea and it is great signs for us.” Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai MastersAfter India declared their innings at 502 runs, the pitch at the ACA-VDCA Stadium started taking turn and the duo of R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja showed signs of what the South African batsmen can expect in the remainder of the first Test as the duo had the Proteas batsmen huffing and puffing in the third session of the second day’s play. While Ashwin finished with two wickets, Jadeja’s figure read 1/21. Mayank also acknowledged the spin duo’s role in the contest and said: “They (Ashwin and Jadeja) have been bowling in great areas, kept pressure and bowled great lines. But definitely the wicket has changed and if it plays like it is playing now, they will get a lot of purchase.” At stumps, South Africa’s scorecard read 39/3 with Dean Elgar and Temba Bavuma batting on 27 and 2 runs respectively and the visitors still trailing by 463 runs.
Muzaffarnagar: A woman was allegedly burnt to death over dowry in Saidham Colony in the city, police said on Friday. The incident happened on Thursday evening in Civil Lines police station area here. The victim Sugna was rushed to a hospital where she was declared brought dead, Station House Officer Sameypal Atri said A case has been registered against four people including her husband Arun Kumar who was absconding, the SHO said. According to a complaint lodged by the victim’s family, the woman was burnt to death by her in-laws who were harassing her over dowry since her marriage to Kumar one-and-half-years ago.
Islamabad: A high-level Taliban delegation on Friday met Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan to discuss the stalled peace process in Afghanistan. The 12-member delegation of Taliban Political Commission (TPC), which arrived here on Wednesday for their first such visit, was lead by its head Mulla Abdul Ghani Baradar during the meeting. “The delegation called on Prime Minister Khan and discussed bilateral and regional situation, especially the peace process in Afghanistan,” a government official told PTI. Khan stressed the need for peace in Afghanistan which he termed as a key to peace and stability in the region. Khan also assured that Islamabad would continue its efforts for peace in Afghanistan, the Geo News reported. Pakistan Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa was also present in the meeting, the BBC reported. The meeting comes a day after the delegation met country’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, who urged the Taliban to grasp the opportunity and resume talks with the US for an early and peaceful resolution of the conflict in Afghanistan. Qureshi noted that the existing, broad regional and international consensus for achieving peace in Afghanistan at the earliest provided an unprecedented opportunity that must not be lost. The US and the Taliban had agreed on draft peace plan, but the process was suspend by President Trump following killing of an American soldier in Kabul last month in a suicide attack claimed by the Taliban. Trump stunned the world when he suddenly declared that the Afghan peace talks with the Taliban were “dead”. He cancelled a secret meeting with the Taliban and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani at Camp David near Washington after the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in Kabul, in which an American soldier was among the dead.
Hyderabad: Gold worth Rs 1.84 crore has been seized and three people, including a customer service officer of a private airlines, have been arrested at the international airport here, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) said on Saturday.Based on specific intelligence, officials stopped the customer service officer for a check which yielded 42 pieces of gold in two packets,a press release from DRI said. When asked about the source of the gold, the officer said he had received the packets from two passengers, who had arrived by a flight from Dubai, the release said.On examination, the gold weighed 4.9 kg, it said. When quizzed, the two passengers and the officer of the private airlines admitted that the precious metal was being smuggled into the country and that they did not have any supporting document, it said. The three people have been arrested and further investigation has begun, the release added.