TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Vives insists Barcelona have no regrets selling Alcacerby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona chief Josep Vives insists there’s no regrets over the sale of Paco Alcacer.Alcacer is starring with Borussia Dortmund this season, while Barca are now in the market for a new backup striker.But Vives says they’re happy with the squad’s makeup.”There is no regret about the departure of Paco Alcacer. The management was very happy with him,” he said. “We are happy that things are going well.”
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday defended Donald Trump over accusations the US leader pressured Kiev to dig up dirt on a rival, saying there was “nothing compromising” in transcripts of the call. “I see nothing compromising in the conversation between Trump and (Ukrainian leader Volodymyr) Zelensky,” Putin said of the phone call that has sparked an impeachment probe in the US. “President Trump turned to a colleague with a request to investigate possible corruption relating to members of the former administration,” the Russian leader said at an energy forum in Moscow. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: Report”Any head of state would have had to do the same.” “They have already been using any excuse to attack President Trump. Now it’s Ukraine,” Putin added. Putin also took aim at the Mueller Report, which concluded that Russia tried to swing the 2016 election in the Republican’s favour but did not establish evidence of collusion between the Trump camp and Moscow. “He didn’t find any evidence of us colluding with Trump in the past, but said there was a risk we might do so in the future… It would be funny if it weren’t so sad,” said Putin. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protestsAsked if Russia would try to meddle in the US 2020 presidential election, Putin joked: “I’ll let you into a secret — yes! We absolutely will… Just don’t tell anybody.” The White House last week released a transcript of a call this summer between Trump and a recently elected Zelensky. It showed that Trump asked Zelensky to probe Democratic rival Joe Biden, and the Democrats are looking into whether Trump used a delayed 400 million (365.8 million euros) aid package as leverage. Ukraine is fighting an ongoing war in its east against Russia-backed separatists, which broke out after Moscow’s annexation of Crimea in 2014.
New Delhi: The outstanding dues owed by distribution utilities to power producers rose around 57 per cent to Rs 78,020 crore in August 2019 as compared to the same month last year, reflecting a growing stress in the sector. Distribution companies owed a total of Rs 49,669 crore to power generation companies in August 2018, according to web portal and app namely PRAAPTI (Payment Ratification and Analysis in Power procurement for Bringing Transparency in Invoicing of generators). Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraThe portal was launched in May 2018 to bring a transparency in power purchase transactions between generators and discoms (distribution companies). In August this year, total overdue amount, which was not cleared even after 60 days of grace period offered by generators, stood at Rs 59,532 crore as against Rs 34,464 crore in the same month in 2018. Power producers give 60 days’ time to discoms for paying bills for the supply of electricity. After that, the outstanding becomes overdue and generators charge penal interest on that in most of the cases. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysIn order to give a relief to power generation companies, the Centre has enforced a payment security mechanism from August 1. Under this mechanism, discoms are required to open letters of credit for getting power supply. The data on the portal indicates that the outstanding as well as overdue amount have increased over the preceding month. In July 2019, the total outstanding on discoms was Rs 76,467 crore, while the total overdue amount was Rs 56,556 crore. The July 2019 figures of dues and overdues have been revised upwards from Rs 73,748 crore and Rs 54,342 crore provisional numbers released last month on the portal. Discoms in Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu account for the major portion of dues to power generating companies, taking a longer duration of up to 820 days to make payments, the portal showed. Among major states, Andhra Pradesh tops the list with 852 days to make payments, followed by Rajasthan (851 days), Haryana (849 days), Madhya Pradesh (836 days) Telangana (829 days) and Tamil Nadu (823 days) in that order. Delhi takes 878 days to make payments to power generating firms. Overdues of independent power producers amount to over 24.6 per cent of the total overdue of Rs 59,532 crore on discoms. Among the central public sector power generators, NTPC alone has an overdue amount of Rs 8,452.58 crore on discoms, followed by NLC India at Rs 4,691.49 crore, NHPC at Rs 2,324.05 crore, THDC India at Rs 1,936.11 crore and Damodar Valley Corporation at Rs 805.71 crore. Among private generators, discoms owe the highest overdue of Rs 3,794.49 to Adani Power, followed by Bajaj Group-owned Lalitpur Power Generation Company Ltd at Rs 2,212.66 crore and GMR at Rs 1,829.68 crore.
Los Angeles: Actor Jim Carrey has turned writer with his upcoming novel “Memoirs and Misinformation” which will hit the bookstores in May 2020. Publishing house Alfred A. Knopf announced on Twitter that Carrey’s debut novel, which he wrote in collaboration with Dana Vachon, will come out next year. “Mark your calendars, the debut novel from @JimCarrey is coming May 2020” it tweeted. The publisher said the novel is a “perceptive, highly entertaining book” about the arc of fame, and a look inside the mind of an artist and the world he inhabits. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold Schwarzenegger The 57-year-old will also embark on a book tour to coincide with the release of the novel, reported Entertainment Weekly. “Jim Carrey has written a novel that is more revealing about his life than any memoir could possibly be,” Sonny Mehta, Editor in Chief of Knopf, said in a statement. “It is a perceptive and highly entertaining book about the arc of fame, as well as a look inside the mind of an artist, the life that shaped him, and the world he inhabits,” he added. Carrey said, “None of this is real and all of it is true.”
Los Angeles: Miley Cyrus is back to making music, two weeks after her split from Kaitlynn Carter. The 26-year-old singer took to Instagram to share a photo of herself inside the studio, indicating that she is working on new music. “Back in the yo! I am so f***ing inspired right now… Thank You NEW MOON,” she captioned the photo. In late September, it was reported that Cyrus and Carter, 31, have gone their separate ways, a little over a month after they started dating. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold SchwarzeneggerAccording to Us Weekly, the relationship ended as the singer went to Las Vegas on September 21, with her mother, Tish Cyrus and her elder sister, Brandi Cyrus to attend the iHeartRadio Music Festival, where Miley was set to perform. Kaitlynn of Hills: New Beginnings fame stayed home where she was seen relaxing as per her Instagram Stories. The duo were first linked in early August, when they were spotted kissing on vacation in Italy. Their photographs started doing the rounds on social media hours before Miley confirmed her separation from actor, now former husband Liam Hemsworth on August 10.
Kolkata: The All India Football Federation (AIFF) will present the future roadmap of Indian football along with Asian Football Confederation (AFC) on October 14 in Kuala Lumpur. AIFF General Secretary Kushal Das has written to ISL and I-League clubs informing them of the same and has asked them to be present on that day at the AFC headquarters. “Dear All, The All India Football Federation along with the Asian Football Confederation will present the future roadmap of Indian Club football on 14th October 2019 at Asian Football Confederation, AFC House, Jalan 1/155B, Bukit Jalil, 57000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at 10 am. You are invited to be present. Kindly confirm your presence in the next 5 days,” the letter read. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: RijijuIt is likely that the ISL and I-League will coexist for another three years as stated by AIFF president Praful Patel earlier. The winners of each league are likely to be handed a continental spot with ISL champions getting the AFC Champions League (ACL) qualifying slot and the I-League champions the AFC Cup play-off slot. Some AFC officials including General Secretary Dato Windsor John recently met AIFF president Patel and Das to have a discussion on the same. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai MastersIn July, the AIFF had recommended AFC to consider that the champions of the ISL be allotted a spot in the qualifiers for the AFC Champions League. The decision was taken in the AIFF’s Executive Committee meeting. The federation said that the recommendation has been made in the light of the Master Rights Agreement signed between the AIFF and IMG-Reliance in 2010 among other factors like more substantial growth in TV viewership and in stadia audience vis a vis the I-League and “the ISL clubs complying with the entire AFC Club licensing criteria, including strong grassroots and Youth Development Programmes which have also been certified by the AFC.” Earlier, Patel assured the I-League clubs that their future is secure and that he will approach the Asian Football Confederation to allow the I-League to co-exist with the ISL as India’s top flight league for the next two to three years. The clubs accepted Patel’s proposal while putting forth their own version of a roadmap for Indian football in which a unified league structure consisting of I-League and ISL clubs was proposed with promotion and relegation.
Visakhapatnam: Featuring in just his fifth Test match, Mayank Agarwal on Thursday became the fourth Indian batsman to convert his maiden century into a double hundred and the Karnataka opener is elated over his performance. Mayank was involved in a crucial 317-run opening stand with debutant opener Rohit Sharma and he reckoned if they keep on replicating such feats, it would be tough for any competition. Mayank played a superb knock of 215 in the first innings of the first Test between India and South Africa here, which contained 23 boundaries and six hits into the stands. Speaking after the match, a delighted Mayank said: “I am extremely happy. It is a feeling I can’t describe. Glad that I could make my maiden hundred into a double. I am happy with the way I played, I am batting well and if we can keep batting together like this upfront, it will be great for the team. If Rohit and me can keep contributing to make 450-500 every time, it will be very tough for the opposition. I would be lying to say that you only have to think about your own game.” Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju”At times you feel that you are playing well and I can take a chance, but that’s not how it works. You have to be patient. We had a great partnership to lay the foundation and get to 300 runs,” he added. Mayank also praised Rohit’s 176-run knock as the Mumbai right-hander silenced all his critics who had questioned his role as a Test opener. Lauding Rohit, Mayank said: “The way he (Rohit) dominated the spinners was great to see. Initially the pitch did do a bit with the new ball but when the sun came down it got better and better. As we approached lunch on day two, the ball started keeping low. It started spinning by tea and it is great signs for us.” Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai MastersAfter India declared their innings at 502 runs, the pitch at the ACA-VDCA Stadium started taking turn and the duo of R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja showed signs of what the South African batsmen can expect in the remainder of the first Test as the duo had the Proteas batsmen huffing and puffing in the third session of the second day’s play. While Ashwin finished with two wickets, Jadeja’s figure read 1/21. Mayank also acknowledged the spin duo’s role in the contest and said: “They (Ashwin and Jadeja) have been bowling in great areas, kept pressure and bowled great lines. But definitely the wicket has changed and if it plays like it is playing now, they will get a lot of purchase.” At stumps, South Africa’s scorecard read 39/3 with Dean Elgar and Temba Bavuma batting on 27 and 2 runs respectively and the visitors still trailing by 463 runs.
Kolkata: A middle-aged woman was allegedly assaulted by members of a Durga Puja organising committee in Sealdah area of the city after she objected that its puja marquee had blocked the entrance to her restaurant. The restaurant owner had raised her voice that the decision of the puja committee to set up the pandal in front of her eatery and many other shops would affect their businesses during Durga Puja. However, the organisers denied the allegation saying, “We had an argument over the issue on Tuesday but she was not assaulted.” Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja It had earlier been decided that the organisers would leave a space of six feet in front of the shops but they did not do so, some shop keepers of the locality claimed. When the woman started recording on her mobile how the pandal had not left adequate space in front of the shops, some of the members of the organising committee allegedly pushed and assaulted her. She lodged a complaint with the police following which the law enforcers filed charges against the accused persons under Sections 354 (assault to woman with an intent to outrage her modesty) and 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) of the IPC. The woman said, she has also forwarded the complaint to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s helpline ‘Didi Ke Bolo’ (Tell Didi). The police said that the matter was being probed.
Jodhpur: A school bus overturned in Rajasthan’s Jaisalmer district after the driver lost control over the wheels Saturday morning, injuring 18 children and one teacher, a police official said. The children from St. Xavier’s Senior Secondary School of Jaipur were on an educational tour to the district, when the accident happened near Pokhran area. Police rescued the children with the help of villagers, the official said. All the children are being treated at the district hospital, but the teacher has been referred to a Jodhpur hospital for better care, he said. Three school buses were part of the tour, carrying a total of 140 children, the official said. “The driver of one of the buses lost control over the wheels and it overturned near a toll plaza in Pokhran,” he added.